6 Amazing Benefits of Attending a Top College

Prominent people have top college degrees. There are 20 members of Congress with a bachelor’s degree from Harvard, 14 from Stanford, eight from Yale, seven from Princeton, and six from Dartmouth. All nine Supreme Court justices have law degrees from Harvard or Yale....

read more

How To Get into a Good College: Ignore these 6 Myths

There are so many misconceptions about the college admissions process and how to get into a good college, but we only have time and space for six major ones: #1 I’m too poor to attend a good college. Fact: Many of the top colleges are need-blind, and many of them meet...

read more

Divorce and Financial Aid: Some Things You Should Know

Divorce and financial aid are a topic of conversation for many families. About 60 percent of children live in households with both biological parents. This blog post is for the other 40 percent. What Gets Reported on the FAFSA Only the income and assets of a custodial...

read more

23 Awesome High School Clubs You Can Start

Extracurricular activities are a large part of every successful college application to a competitive school. And while the Common App has room for up to ten activities, it’s better to have deep involvement and leadership in one or two high school clubs.

read more

Don’t Overlook the College Application Digital Portfolio

Digital portfolios are required for students applying to special programs, such as fine arts, performing arts, and architecture. But what about liberal arts, business, science, engineering, and such? It’s absolutely a good idea to have a college application digital portfolio to let admissions counselors know who you are. Digital portfolios contain materials such as papers, projects, artwork, or videos.

read more

Are College Scholarships Worth the Hassle?

Many students and parents want to know if college scholarships are worth the hassle.  After applying for a large list of colleges, writing the Common App and numerous supplemental essays, and navigating the elaborate FAFSA process, do you really want to sit down and...

read more

How Much Should I Borrow and Keep My College Debt Manageable?

$1.8 trillion. That’s what the college debt clock says. And it keeps ticking. America’s World War II generation was frugal. They had lived through the Great Depression and had made do with less. Then they conserved for the war effort. After the war, they took...

read more

Addressing the Opportunity Gap — It’s What We Do

The achievement gap turns into the opportunity gap, which then turns into the income and wealth gap. College admissions counselors -- or consultants, as they often like to be called, generally don’t do much to address the opportunity gap.  They justify charging...

read more